Monday, January 3, 2011

Alja Rachmanowa

In the last edition of flow there was an article about Alja Rachmanowa (or Alia Rachmanova, spelling changes). Born as a Russian noble, she was first sent to Siberia along with her family where she met her future husband, an Austrian. Later on they were exiled and she had to move to Austria where she opened a milkshop. She kept a diary apparently, all through these years in turmoil and later on published them. Since I read the article I have been after her books which are really HARD to find for they are not in publishing anymore! I found one copy in a second hand bookshop in London and some other second hand copies in Dutch closerby, here in Antwerp. I ordered the Dutch translations since I guess the translation then would be closer to the original language (German), and hopefully i will receive it in a couple days. I cannot wait :) Meantime any information about this mysterious lady is appreciated :)
P.S.: Her real name was Galina Djuragin, Alia was her psedonym

1 comment:

cata said...

Hi today I bought by chance a book of hers Die Fabrik des neuen Menschen, and I wanted to know something about her life, could you tell me where can I find more info?